Yes, we do check company credentials. We review hundreds of home service providers in neighborhoods across the nation and denote only those that provide consistent, exceptional service as Five Star Rated. When selecting qualified companies, we use a combination of research, including pulling an Experian Small Business Credit Report, their State Corporation Search status, a Better Business Bureau Report, and several online profiles of homeowner reviews.
- Be wary of prices that seem too good to be true
- Avoid unknown companies selling door to door
- Be wary of the high-pressure sales technique
- Be patient during the busy season
- Avoid moonlighters
- Don’t make a hiring decision based on a company’s sign in your neighbor’s yard
- Remember that one referral is only one referral
- Thoroughly check references
- Only compare apples to apples
- Avoid business on a handshake
- Avoid large, up-front payments
- Never open an account for a contractor at a local store
- Do not help contractors
- Do not lend tools to the people you hire
- Keep valuables out of sight
- Monitor workers in your home
- Avoid cash payments
- Write a check to the company you hired, not to an employee
- Request lien releases on major work
- Never make the final payment until you are completely satisfied
How does Five Star Rated conduct research?
We review hundreds of home service providers in neighborhoods across the nation and denote only those that provide consistent, exceptional services as Five Star Rated. Through verification with other trusted, independent review sources, homeowner surveys, and Experian Smart Business Reports, we qualify only the best professionals.
Do you rely on other sources for your research?
When considering a company for Five Star Rated status, we use various sources to determine if a company qualifies to be included in the book. In addition to direct homeowner surveying, we also review a company’s Experian Small Business Credit Report, their State Corporation Search status, their Better Business Bureau report, and reviews left by
How can I contribute feedback to Five Star Rated?
Any feedback, be it about the publication or a specific company that we publish, can be sent via email at [email protected], or you can call us toll-free at 1-877-902-7575.